Acute and chronic pain frequently interfere with daily living and enjoyment of life. As a top-ranked chiropractic practice in Ashburn, VA. We are the leading provider of pain relief treatments to help patients relieve painful symptoms, as well as symptoms like numbness, nerve tingling, and decreased range of motion.request an appointment
What are the most common causes of chronic and acute pain?
Both chronic (long-lasting or recurring) and acute pain can have many causes, including car accidents, sports accidents, personal injuries like slip-and-fall accidents, overuse, or repetitive use injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome, poor posture or poor ergonomics, obesity, being physically inactive, and chronic pain disorders like fibromyalgia and chronic regional pain syndrome (CRPS). Sometimes, pain can develop as a result of a disease like arthritis or from a slipped disc, or it may develop following a surgical procedure.
What kinds of chronic and acute pain can be helped by chiropractic care?
Chiropractic uses techniques that can be custom-tailored to treat an array of pain issues, including:
- Fibromyalgia and other pain syndromes that occur when nerves become super-sensitive to stimuli
- Plantar fasciitis, a condition that causes chronic pain in the bottom of the feet and the heels
- Frozen shoulder, and shoulder bursitis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other entrapment issues, like golfer’s elbow or tennis elbow
- Arthritis and other types of joint diseases and disorders
- Back, neck, hip, shoulder and elbow pain
- Headaches and temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
- Pain associated with cancer
- Whiplash and other accident-related pain
How does chiropractic care work to relieve pain?
Pain occurs when nerves send off a specific type of signal to the brain. These signals are interpreted as pain. Chiropractic care focuses on nerve issues that can cause pain. Helping to relieve nerve compressions and impingements that can be a source of many types of pain, it also uses tissue manipulation and adjustment techniques to promote better circulation and to improve lymphatic drainage so toxins associated with inflammation can be removed from the tissues more efficiently. Massage techniques, cold laser therapy, and ultrasound also help by breaking down tight bands of tissue that cause pain and stiffness to restore normal, pain-free range of motion.